At Oaklands Infant School it is our intent to provide all children with a high-quality, broad and challenging Mathematics curriculum which encourages the children to make sense of the world around them by developing their ability to calculate, reason and solve problems. Our Maths curriculum reflects our school ethos of ‘deep roots for future growth’ with deep learning taking longer but lasting forever.
We aim to ensure that our Maths curriculum promotes a true love of the subject for boys and girls alike with pupils approaching the subject with a positive, can do attitude. During their time at Oaklands we want our pupils to:
- become fluent in the fundamentals of maths, developing their conceptual understanding and the ability to recall and apply knowledge rapidly and accurately.
- reason mathematically by justifying, making links to known facts, or providing proof using mathematical language.
- be challenged through solving problems demonstrating a deeper understanding by solving new problems in unfamiliar contexts.
- think like a mathematician being systematic, generalising and seeking out patterns; encouraging dialogue and discussion in each lesson
- show their thinking in different ways using multiple representations.
- make real life, cross curricular links so that they understand how their maths skills can be applied in and outside of the classroom.
We intend to teach a Maths curriculum which is coherently planned and sequenced, reviewed and successfully adapted to meet the needs of all our learners. Oaklands Infants seeks to develop numerate, resilient, problem-solvers of the future; instilling essential skills that can be used in all aspects of learning and in future life.
To find out more about the Maths Mastery approach and how you can help your child please click on the link below.